Friday, January 30, 2009

I worked on my PhD's this past weekend in Textiles

An incredible group of quilting friends and I had a quilting retreat this weekend overlooking Katahdin mountain. So I was working on my PhD's (yes plural PhD's - Projects Half Done) and now have many AFT - All Finished Tops. Five of them completed in one weekend and enough inspiration to keep me sewing day and night for some time. My face is still hurting from all of the laughs during the weekend of quilting.

This quilt will be for my granddaughter's new bed - queen size made of beautiful greens, lilacs, periwinkle, and white. I can't wait to see her face when she sees this quilt. She is one of my biggest fans. Each quilt I make she asks if I am making it for her. She loves to help me in my studio and has started playing with fabric making up mock blocks. She may grow up to be a quilter.




Quilt Name - Lilley's Peary Winkle Quilt - Size 83" X 83"
Quilt stop started January 2008 - finished January 2009 Will be machine quilted with an all over pattern.


Ahhh Daiwabu fabrics from Japan - I am in love with the colors and textures of these incredible taupe fabrics. This is a wonderful pattern created by a dear friend of mine. I taught this at a retreat in CT a few years ago and am now finishing the quilt top. I will have this one custom machine quilted by an quilt machine artist in CT. This one will hang in a place in my home. The colors are subtle but so sophisticated. The pattern includes two of my favorite things - trees and stars.

Larisa Key made the original pattern.

Quilt Name - Tree of Life - Size 64" X 64"
Quilt top started in Nov 2007 and finished Jan. 2009
Will have it custom quilted by machine



Give me a jelly roll in exquiste colors and a quilt appears. This quilt was made from forty 2 1/2" strips of fabric from a collection from Moda. This is a pattern from a book called Churn Dash. It is a scrappy quilt which is one of my favorite things to do. I cannot do a quilt with just a few fabrics.

Not sure who this quilt is for but thinking of giving it to my sister-in-law who deserves a quilt to cuddle under. She is a very special sister-in-law.




Quilt Name - Churn Dash with a Twist - size 72" X 84" (Perfect lap size for a warm cuddle on the couch)
Quilt top started May 2008 and finished Jan. 2009
Will be machine quilted with an all over pattern.



What is her name going to be? We are expecting our third granddaughter in June. I made this as a quick quilt at the retreat and also prepared a boy quick quilt and found out this week we are having another granddaughter. So what else do you name a quilt when you find out you will be blessed with a new granddaughter - What is her name going to be? This top was made from 5 1/2" squares and three borders. As the snow keeps falling here in the North, it brightens the spirit to play with bright colorful fabrics.





Title - What is Her Name Going to Be?
Size 37" X 52"
Started top January 24th 2009 and finished on January 25th 2009 (I said it was quick and so much fun to make)
Will be machine quilted with an all over pattern


This is a variation on the traditional block as you make the dark side of the log cabin block skinnier giving the appearance of a curved pattern. Why do I love this block - the ease of construction that gives a huge visual impact. I taught this quick at a class at Quilter's Dream in Willimantic, CT (incredible shop with over 5000 fabrics). Unfortunately the camera does not do this quilt justice. It is made of different shades of blues and tans, which fabrics give the illusion of gradation of color. I apologize for being unable to color correct the photo but this quilt sings with richness!

Quilt Title - Feeling the Blues Quilt size 60" X 60"
Started in 2000 and finished January 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment